Apparel Exports to the US

James Strachan | Data Visualisation | #MakeoverMonday | 2020 | Week 43

Introduction
This week's dataset was all about the decline in clothing exports to the US from developing countries in 2020, in large part due to the Covid crisis, but also, seemingly in this instance, because US clothing retailers were deliberately reneging on contractual agreements by refusing to pay. Some analysts also found a relationship between developing countries that had been in full vs partial lockdown and export levels, but I didn't focus on this aspect in my redesign.

The Centre for Global Workers' Rights (CGWR) Original
I guess you could call this 'small multiples' with the gap between 2019 and 2020 apparel exports to the US emphasised in bright red. It's a little 'angry' to the eye, but I guess it gets the message across. There's quite a lot of chart junk though (in terms of the mini-tables of values beneath each line graph). And there's nothing really eye-catching to draw you to it from across a room. So in summary, not the worst, but not the best, and plenty of room for improvement & creativity. Here's a link to the full CGWR report.

My #Vizabit Redesign
Having already produced a viz where I coloured above/below the lines in a previous week I wanted to do something different, but wasn't really sure what... there was geographic data, so I could draw a map (but this wasn't particularly helpful). In the end I opted for a simple line chart, with a parameter to switch between metrics, but made it a bit more visually enticing by floating the chart over an image of a clothing factory in Vietnam. As the image was grey-scale, relevant to the topic, and didn't obscure the data too badly, I thought this was a worthwhile addition (as it helps you instantly understand what the data is about):


As with previous weeks, I also made sure to format the mobile version of the view, so that the dashboard is user friendly regardless of device. With the mobile version, because I couldn't fix the size of the dashboard (as phone sizes vary too much in screen size and resolution), I had to drop the image (as I couldn't float a container over it and guarantee it would remain in the same place on any device):


Try it for yourself...
The version you see will depend on the device you are using

Comments