What % of European Parliaments are Female?

James Strachan | Data Visualisation | #MakeoverMonday | 2021 | Week 09

Introduction
After a long break, I've finally found some time to re-engage with Makeover Monday. I initially felt guilty after breaking my original streak, but now it feels great to return on my own terms. This week was all about Women in national parliaments and governments in European countries.

The Eurostat Original
Unfortunately there is very little I can say that is positive about this one, other than it gave me complete freedom to do whatever I wanted to improve it. There are too many colours, there are two many overlapping lines, the key is along the bottom rather than the right hand side (or better still just labelling line ends). Suffice it to say that this is definitely not best practice!


My #Vizabit Redesign
I chose a mixture of a map and a bar chart race for this week. I kept with a 'dark mode' style, but decided not to use the stereotypical pink to represent women in this context as we're talking about serious women in positions of power. I then added in the country flags (as I already had most of them saved), and animated the charts over time. Lastly, I also added a simple parameter to show/hide flags on the country map on the desktop version. This was really unnecessary if I am honest, but I wanted to play with the new map layers feature in Tableau. Lastly, I formatted two versions: one for desktop and one for mobile.

Try it for yourself...
The version you see will depend on the device you're using.

Comments